For Market Merchants
Welcome to the Pike Place Market's Communication Center. We will update this page with information relevant to our Market merchants, vendors and entertainers.
- The Market Insider
- Small Business Workshops
- Pop-Up Murals Are Back
- Co-op Advertising Program
- Instagram Takeovers
- Alaskan Way Viaduct Removal
If you wish to receive the monthly newsletter called, The Market Insider click the button below.
The Market Insider:
Download and Print Event Calendars:
Small Business Workshops
Does your website and social strategy need a boost? This spring, the Pike Place Market PDA teamed up with Ventures, a Seattle-based nonprofit, to offer five classes designed to launch your business into 2019.
These workshops can be taken as a series or by themselves. They are free for businesses within Pike Place Market.
Instructors: Pike Place Market PDA Marketing Team, Amy Wallsmith and Tanya Sinkovits.
- Tuesday, April 16 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm Instagram Level 1: Beginners
- Tuesday, April 23 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm Instagram Level 2: Intermediate
- Tuesday, April 30 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm Instagram Level 3: Advanced
Instructors: Ventures, a Seattle-based nonprofit that supports entrepreneurs at every stage of business.
- Tuesday, May 7 5:30 pm - 8:00 pm Product Photography
- Tuesday, May 14 5:30 pm - 8:00 pm Building Website and E-Commerce Presence
LOCATION: All workshops will take place at the Pike Place Market Senior Center, located at the top of the HillClimb.
PARKING: Complimentary parking will be available at the Pike Place Market Garage (vouchers provided at end of workshop) and complementary foods and snacks will be provided to all workshop attendees.
WHAT TO BRING: Your favorite notebook, pen and business cards for networking.
*Pre-registration is encouraged as space is LIMITED TO 30 PEOPLE per session. One per business per session unless space allows - a wait list will be started if needed.
Tuesday, April 16 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm Instagram Level 1: Beginners
Is your business on Instagram? Last year, the social network had 1 billion active users with 80% following at least one brand. Instagram Level 1 is designed for businesses who either do not have an account or haven’t posted in a while. Attendees will walk away with their business Instagram account set up, a basic understanding of how to use the platform and the beginning of an Instagram strategy that they can develop further in Level 2.
First hour of this workshop is a presentation. Second hour is hands-on with Tanya and Amy helping you get started!
Tuesday, April 23 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm Instagram Level 2: Intermediate
Do you have an Instagram account but don’t know what to post? Instagram Level 2 is for you. This class provides you with tips & tricks that will inspire you to post more. We’ll go over how to use hashtags correctly, Instagram schedules, and Insights.
First hour of this workshop is a presentation. Second hour is hands on help and brainstorming for your business with Tanya and Amy!
Tuesday, April 30 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm Instagram Level 3: Advanced
Are your creating Instagram stories? Instagram Stories is a free easy way to continue engaging with your community and building awareness about business. This class will go over the basics of Instagram Stories, share tips from industry leaders and examples from the pros.
First hour of this workshop is a presentation. Second hour is hands-on with Tanya and Amy!
Tuesday, May 7 5:30 pm - 8:00 pm Product Photography
A picture is worth a thousand words and great photos can really help your marketing be more effective and attract more customers. In this workshop, you will have the opportunity to build your skills in product photography using simple, low resource tips, tricks, and tools.
Tuesday, May 14 5:30 pm - 8:00 pm Building Website and E-Commerce Presence
More and more customers are finding businesses via digital channels and having a web presence for your business is necessary to expanding your business reach. By putting some time into creating a website & e-commerce plan, you will be able to save time and money in your marketing and at the same time, reach new and existing customers.
Calling All Artists!
Pike Place Market’s Pop-Up Murals are back!
Design Submission Deadline: April 17, 2019
Last February, eight Market artists showcased their craft by painting #LocalLove themed murals at various locations throughout the Market. This month, Pike Place Market invites applicants to submit a design for our May Flower Fest themed pop-up murals. This is a fantastic opportunity to showcase your talent and brighten the Market as we celebrate Spring and Flower Fest. Selected artists will also receive $400, and their murals will be on display from May 9th till the end of June. Artists also have the opportunity to submit for the Pike Place Market Flower Fest poster of the year which will be used to promote the event happening May 11th to 12th. Apply today here!
- Applications must be submitted through our online portal by April 12, 2019 and must include:
- A Mock Design for Review:
- Design proposals for mural and poster need to be close to the finished product.
- For mural designs, these designs should be interactive for passersby and intended to create amazing photos.
- Additional Information Needed Includes: Name, Bio, Business Name and Top Location Selections.
- A Mock Design for Review:
For any questions, please contact Madison Bristol, Madison.Bristol@pikeplacemarket.org or call (206) 774-5259
Co-op Advertising Program
Stretch your advertising dollars by participating in the PDA’s Co-op Advertising Program!
PDA commercial and daystall merchants in good standing who create, purchase and pay in full for individual advertising projects for their Market business in 2019 can be reimbursed 50% of their advertising cost, while funds remain.
- Daystall and Farm: Receive up to $350 annually
- Commercial: Receive up to $700 annually
Funds are available on a first-come, first-serve basis for tenants in good standing with the PDA. Qualifying paid advertisements only. If you have questions, please contact the PDA Marketing department.
Take Over Our Instagram
We are no longer scheduling businesses to Takeover our Instagram Stories account at this time. You are welcome to apply below to be considered for the next round of applicants.
The PDA's Instagram account is a great way to reach a wide audience for free. We have almost 100,000 followers and our Instagram Stories traditionally get seen by 3,000 to 4,000 people.
Please read the rules and guidelines below, then click here to apply to Takeover Our Instagram Stories account.
- Be positive! Be creative! Show your personality while also showing off your brand and Pike Place Market.
- Show your day. Be real.
- Create memorable moments; interviews with coworkers and/or tips for the audience.
- Provide a unique experience.
- Use location and hashtag stickers to increase your discoverability.
- Use polls and questions to increase engagement.
- The PDA has final approval of photos and videos that get uploaded to our account.
The schedule is FULL. You are welcome to apply below to be considered for the next round of applicants.
Step 1: Apply here.
Step 2: We will review your application and reach out.
Alaskan Way Viaduct Removal and Beyond
- NOW through July: Viaduct Removal, visit the interactive tracker to see where construction is currently.
Not receiving our emails? Let us know, fill out this form.
- December 20 Weekly Update
- Viaduct Planning Checklist
- January 10 Update
- January 17 Update
- February 1 Update
- February 15 Update
- March 14 Update
Helpful Links to more information:
- Interactive map showing demolition progress
- Project website with information about work hours, methods and schedule
- City of Seattle traffic map with street closures and traffic cameras
- 24/7 construction hotline: 1-888-298-5463
Learn More about the New SR 99 Tunnel:
The tunnel is a direct, 2-mile trip underneath downtown Seattle. Tunnel entrances and exits, near Seattle’s Space Needle to the north and the stadiums to the south. The tunnel will be free to use when it first opens.
The Washington State Department of Transportation created four new videos:
- Driving north to and through Seattle with the new SR 99 tunnel
- Driving south to and through Seattle with the new SR 99 tunnel
- Getting to northbound 99 from in and around Seattle with the new SR 99 tunnel
- Getting to southbound SR 99 from in-and-around Seattle with the new SR 99 tunnel