UPDATE: The Alaskan Way entrance to the Market Parking Garage is now open. Vehicles may enter and exit from 1530 Alaskan Way, 1531 Western Avenue and 1901 Western Avenue.
The Alaskan Way Viaduct in front of Pike Place Market is finally coming down. For the next month, visitors to our MarketFront will have front row seats to the construction. (Yay!)
This also means the route to the waterfront from Pike Place Market and Western Avenue is a bit different, but should be easy for walkers and drivers to navigate.
Fastest Option (not for strollers)
The Pike Street HillClimb is the easiest and most direct path to the waterfront for people who can walk down stairs and on rough pavement. This route is not ADA accessible or recommended for families with strollers.
Directions from Pike Place Market:
- The Pike Street HillClimb is once again the easiest way to get to the waterfront from Western Avenue, however, visitors will walk on rough pavement right next to the demolition zone.
- The Pike Street HillClimb is located to the right of the Gum Wall and connects Western Avenue to the main arcade. The HillClimb extends further and connects Western Avenue to Alaskan Way and the waterfront.
- Walk down the steps toward the water.
- At the end of the HillClimb, walk over a wooden bridge.
- The rough pavement through the restoration zone is to the left.
Directions from the Parking Garage:
- You can access the Hillclimb from the parking garage.
- Follow the yellow footprints on the garage floor to the far elevator.
- Take the elevator to level 1 or walk down one flight of stairs.
- The pathway through the restoration zone is to the right.
ADA Accessible Option
You can get from Pike Place Market's main arcade to the waterfront using the Skybridge, two Pike Place Market Garage elevators and the pathway at the bottom of the Pike Street HillClimb.
- The Skybridge is located in between Woodring Northwest and Mick's Peppourri & Cheese about halfway through the main arcade.
- Take the Skybridge elevator to level 1
- Follow the yellow footprints to the far Pike Place Market Garage elevator.
- Take that elevator down one more level.
- The ADA accessible pathway through the restoration zone is to the right.
Options for Families with Strollers
For able-bodied people or families with strollers who don't mind walking, there is a third option.
- After exiting the parking garage take a right on Western Avenue toward World Spice.
- At the first intersection, which is University Street, take a right.
- Walk two blocks to Alaskan Way.
- Once on Alaskan Way take another right toward Waterfront Park and the Seattle Aquarium.